Quickly and easily transcribe audio files into text with OpenAI's state-of-the-art transcription technology Whisper. Whether you're recording a meeting, lecture, or other important audio, MacWhisper quickly and accurately transcribes your audio files into text.
- Easily record and transcribe audio files on your Mac
- Just drag and drop audio files to get a high quality transcription
- Record directly from your microphone or any other input device on your Mac
- All transcription is done on your device, no data leaves your machine. This makes MacWhisper a great app for sensitive audio such as interviews.
- Save or export your transcripts as a .whisper file, which includes the original audio and all your transcription edits for easy sharing
- .srt & .vtt subtitles export as well as csv, dote, docx, pdf and html exports
- Metal and GPU support for extremely fast transcription
- Get accurate text transcriptions in seconds (up to ~30x realtime)
- Search the entire transcript and highlight words
- Audio playback and syncing to transcripts
- Supports 100 different languages
- Copy the entire transcript or individual sections
- Star/Favorite segments
- Compact mode (hide timestamps)
- Automatically remove ums, uhhs and other similar filler words
- Drag and drop directly from Voice Memos
- Edit and delete segments from the transcript
- Add up to two speakers manually
- Select transcription language (or use auto detect)
- Supported formats: mp3, wav, m4a, mov and mp4 videos.
- Supports Tiny, Base and Small transcription qualities (and you can compare the transcription quality between all quality levels)
- All above features
- Batch Transcribe as many files one after the other. Useful if you want to add subtitles to an entire season of a show, or if you have a lot of interviews to go through
- Manually add speakers to your transcript for a cleaner export
- Menubar app for accessing Whisper anywhere from your Mac
- Record and transcribe system audio (to record meetings for example)
- Supports Tiny (English Only), Tiny, Base, Small, Medium and Large models
- Translate audio file into another language through Whisper (use the Medium or Large models, the results will not be perfect and I'm working on more advanced ways to do this)
- Translate the full transcript by adding your own (free) DeepL API key.
- Translate segments to a different language for auto generating custom subtitles
- Transcribe podcasts by combining single track audio for each host (beta)
- One time payment, no subscription. Pay once and use forever.
- Higher priority support. I'll try to email you back as soon as possible if you run into anything.
- If you're a journalist or non-profit, send me an email at email@example.com and tell me about your work to get 50% off 🙂
- If you purchase MacWhisper Pro and are not happy with it, let me know within 7 days and I'll refund you.
After downloading MacWhisper you will have to fill in your license key to unlock all Pro features.
If you want to purchase more than 50 licenses, or if you're looking for an MDM deployment or something custom, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Currently in Development:
- System Wide Dictation
- ChatGPT integration (with your own API key)
- And plenty more.. Check out the Roadmap in the app to vote on what features you want me to add first.
Which version do you need?
You can download MacWhisper or MacWhisper Pro. MacWhisper is free and lets you transcribe audio with the Tiny and Base models. They're fast and very accurate, but for the best results you should consider MacWhisper Pro.
MacWhisper Pro comes with the Tiny (English), Medium and Large models, for industry leading transcription quality. Depending on your usecase you might want to use the Large version. You can always upgrade to the Pro version later.
You can download MacWhisper for free or you can support my work by getting MacWhisper Pro Please let me know if you run into anything.
100 Supported Languages
MacWhisper can transcribe audio in the following languages:
English, Chinese, German, Spanish, Russian, Korean, French, Japanese, Portuguese, Turkish, Polish, Catalan, Dutch, Arabic, Swedish, Italian, Indonesian, Hindi, Finnish, Vietnamese, Hebrew, Ukrainian, Greek, Malay, Czech, Romanian, Danish, Hungarian, Tamil, Norwegian, Thai, Urdu, Croatian, Bulgarian, Lithuanian, Latin, Maori, Malayalam, Welsh, Slovak, Telugu, Persian, Latvian, Bengali, Serbian, Azerbaijani, Slovenian, Kannada, Estonian, Macedonian, Breton, Basque, Icelandic, Armenian, Nepali, Mongolian, Bosnian, Kazakh, Albanian, Swahili, Galician, Marathi, Punjabi, Sinhala, Khmer, Shona, Yoruba, Somali, Afrikaans, Occitan, Georgian, Belarusian, Tajik, Sindhi, Gujarati, Amharic, Yiddish, Lao, Uzbek, Faroese, Haitian Creole, Pashto, Turkmen, Nynorsk, Maltese, Sanskrit, Luxembourgish, Myanmar, Tibetan, Tagalog, Malagasy, Assamese, Tatar, Hawaiian, Lingala, Hausa, Bashkir, Javanese, Sundanese.
MacWhisper requires a lot of computer memory to work well. To use the Medium and Large models your Mac should have more than 8GB of RAM. Performance on older Intel based Macs can also be bad but I have not been able to test this properly.
👨💻 Check out my other macOS utilities:
MacGPT - Use ChatGPT on your Mac and from your menubar
Detective - GPT Vision for macOS
Voices - High Quality Text to Speech with OpenAI
Text Assistant - Generate useful text and manage your prompts with GPT and your own OpenAPI key
Vivid - Double the brightness of your MacBook Pro by always using HDR mode
Forehead - Hide the Notch and round your MacBook corners
Cooldown - Quickly toggle Low Power Mode from your menubar
Speedy - Fast Speedtest in your menubar
Pippo - Improve the Picture-in-Picture video player with seek controls
Whisper was made by building on top of all the hard work from Georgi Gerganov, check out his Whisper implementation here: https://github.com/ggerganov/whisper.cpp